Angel Baby Ornament sample 1

Angel Baby Ornament sample 1

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Learning from Cat - Masters of Manifestation

First of all, cats are wild animals that have willingly consented to live with humans in their homes. They have chosen to abide by some of our rules to live in cooperation with us. They have slightly submitted to us. However, they all retain their wild spirits and wills. I won't go into all the reasons why they chose to live with us - but it was a conscious choice.

We can learn so much from cats that have chosen to be domesticated, since they truly are the Masters of Manifestation. Cats know their physical capabilities and limits. They know how to use their resources too - us, things around our homes, their appeal. They're so very clever about getting what they want. They quickly learn what works with each of their people, for example. One of my cats poses for the camera because he likes the attention. He learned early on what positions would stop me in my tracks, get me to reach for the camera. He learned the sound of the camera taking the photo or my movements. He will hold a position until I've snapped the photo, then move slightly into another pose designed to keep my attention. For those of you who know them, this is Whiskers. Louie tries to give me a "come hither" look and lead me to the food bowls and treats when he wants something. Cats use all their resources wisely. For example, you can't leave a dog for several days with bowls of food and water. They'll eat all the food right away and then have nothing. You can leave enough food out for cats (dry of course) and they'll still eat the same amount they always do, space out their meals. They're also great opportunists. I had to move a big plastic box of beading supplies off my living room floor because Karma was using it as a launching pad to the mantle where I had breakables. They are very creative and resourceful, as we should be.

Cats are very good at setting boundaries between themselves and with their people. They come to us when they want attention. Often they rub on us to get it started, and provide themselves with some of the petting they seek. It's the ultimate because they're getting while giving to us. They're providing some attention for themselves and us at the same time. One of the best ways to feel good yourself is to give to another and they totally demonstrate this principle. Once they've had enough, usually they leave, whether on our laps or beside us. But if necessary, they'll employ tooth and claw to put the message out, defend their personal boundaries. They're also masters of body language. They give us behavioral warnings first, which is the biggest way they communicate with each other. We're all familiar with the classic arched back and that message. Cats will use the most peaceful and non-confrontational means possible at first (body language). However, they can escalate quickly as needed, through warning sounds to drawing blood if their boundaries aren't respected. You need to understand that part of manifesting also involves removing what you don't want from your life. Cats are very discerning for the most part. Most cats won't go up to or stay within reach of just anyone. They choose who may do what to them, how, and when, to the best of their ability. Unless you're one to force or abuse, if you've dealt with cats you know those are some powerful abilities.

Most cats have total self-confidence and self-control. They can leap to tall places and not disturb a thing if they want to. Their bodies are built to tell them what they can and can't do and they listen to that. The length of their facial whiskers are designed to tell them how small a place they can squeeze through. They know their jumping capabilities and what they have to do to make any jump. This changes as their physical abilities change, especially with age. Sometimes, just like with people, they have to try and fail a few times to get the message that this is something they can no longer do. But they do seem to learn this pretty quickly. They are very clever and learn our rules very quickly. Just like children, they also learn how and when they can break those rules. If a cat is obeying your wishes, it's been his/her choice. Because of all this, they know themselves and the limits very well. This gives them some of their self-confidence. They are definitely masters of self-control, although it often doesn't seem that way. But self-control is about learning to master your environment and how to navigate it, and cats do just that. Self-control is then a series of behavior choices, which cats have masters. They are masters of intent. They know what they're going to do before they do it and the probable outcome.

Cats are also masters of meditation. If you've been around cats, you've seen them staring into space for seemingly endless periods of time. They always have that faraway look in their eyes at those times. They are totally in tune with their bodily needs. They nap when they feel the need, and often. They use these times to renew their energy. In homes where food and litter boxes are always provided, they eat and potty on their own schedules. They listen to their own internal cues and schedules, their personal rhythms.When it's time to look out the window and chatter at the birds or race back and forth, they do. Often they seem to be on a personal mission only they understand and regulate.

Cats are also masters of co-operative living. In the wild, cats are solitary animals. In our homes, they share, often with other pets, and with the people. They establish their own hierarchy when someone new enters the home, swiftly and decisively. Then they reinforce this effectively and easily. They establish who sleeps and rests where, and share the space and resources. I've seen some amazing co-operative living by living with multiple cats. Usually we aren't even aware of how the boundaries are established and reinforced among them. I once had a very devoted princess cat and her brother. She never cuddled in my arms on the couch when I put my feet up, but he always did. He never got on the bed, but she always cuddled in my arms. They'd worked this out between them, to share me. These days, Breezy is the top cat and everyone knows it. If another cat is cuddling with me and she jumps up, the other cat leaves. If this doesn't happen fast enough, she makes a move to swat at the other cat. She seldom has to actually swat though. At night, Karma has her favorite spot to sleep up against my lower legs. When it's cool enough in the bedroom, Breezy starts in my arms and ends up on the opposite side of my legs. She and Karma share me at night. Whiskers sometimes jumps up on the bed to briefly join me during the night but he won't share me with anyone. If another cat comes around when he's with me, he simply leaves. No other cats get on the bed during the night, and I have 6. I don't love the way Breezy chases other cats off. The cats aren't demanding and I'm largely able to meet the needs of all of them. I give them attention whenever I can based on them coming to me when they want it. I also don't love that Whiskers leaves so quickly and easily, as I'd like more time with him. But I know better than to try to take control of these situations. Cats can't be controlled in these things and I know better than to try. I respect the boundaries they've set, and therefore live in peace and harmony with them. For the most part, they also live in peace and harmony with each other. We can learn much from this, and them.

No comments:

Post a Comment