Angel Baby Ornament sample 1

Angel Baby Ornament sample 1

Monday, May 23, 2011

How I Do It All - Part II

The planner is the biggest thing that's made a difference but I also have a few other tips to share. These are variations of things you may have already heard. But they're coming from someone you know, telling you they work.

I'm very organized. I take the time to clean up after myself as I go, for the most part. That way, the next time I need to do something, my tools are in place & ready to go. Cleaning up for me means making sure things are in working order & put away.

I've invested in my tools over time. I buy the least expensive when possible, but I make sure to buy quality. I also make sure what I buy suits me & my needs, fits. I also save things, recycle within my home. Sometimes I'm pretty creative in the use of things. That clear piece of plastic from a photo frame will come in handy one day & doesn't take up a lot of space. I'm storing it with pieces of cardboard. Then, when I need something, chances are I already have it in the house, or something I can use to make into what I need.

I have lots of pretty & cute things in my work areas. I buy quality scissors, but hold out until I find pink ones. I surround myself with the colors & things that make me feel good when I use them, look at them, look around me. So I love the environment I've created. It fuels my creativity, my energy. Even paying bills is less of a chore.

I use a lot of baskets & plastic bins. I work smart. I work as I go, from room to room. Unless my brain isn't functioning well, I combine tasks & trips from one area of the house to another. So I'm also very organized with my time. When needed, I make a list to carry with me to make sure I minimize trips. For example, I hate the stairs to the downstairs part of this house. The litter boxes, laundry, & my elderly mother are down there though, so I always have a whole list of chores to do once I go down there. That's when I use a list other than my planner, so I can carry it with me & not miss anything. I usually have a laundry basket at the top of the stairs & I pile it full of things I need to take down with me (& my list), then down there pile it with what needs to come back up.

I handle things as they arise as much as possible. I hate it when a bunch of little things or administrative things or papers pile up on me. I feel burdened by them, overwhelmed. I've learned I function best by handling them & getting them out of the way right away, taking those few minutes. Knowing yourself is a big part of being able to get things done. I don't start my day with the unpleasant stuff if possible. I start my day gently with my cups of coffee & this blog, email, etc. Then I tackle the "biggies" of the day, then do the rest. I reward myself at the end of the day. Sometimes I journal about all I've accomplished so I acknowledge myself. I find I've done way more than I thought I did! Most of the time I just put my feet up, watch TV for pure pleasure & mindless release (my daughter called it "brain candy"), have a snack, & knit a dishcloth. Knitting dishcloths is one of the greatest releases & methods of relaxation I've ever found! Bless the woman who taught me to do it in the late 1980s! Now I can teach you if you want. Just contact me. I've got that gmail.com address - jennyleaschwartz.

I have an answering machine & it's on 24/7. That means I never have to quick wash my hands in the middle of something & run for the phone. I'm never a slave to it. That also means that if I need "me" time, I don't have to give that up just because someone's trying to reach me during that time. I am totally responsive to needs though. If someone calls & needs me, I will interrupt myself or call right back. But I've learned that a need & a want are two very different things! And my needs come before someone else's wants.

I hope that somewhere in this post, I've given you an idea you needed to hear right now. We all know these things, but sometimes we have to hear someone else say them before we give ourselves permission or are ready to make changes. I've been practicing living & coping this way since 1990, when I began nearly 10 years of working full time while single-parenting two young children. I maintained an old home, provided their outside activities, & did it all while stretched to the limit financially & personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment