Angel Baby Ornament sample 1

Angel Baby Ornament sample 1

Monday, May 9, 2011

Properties of flaxseed in face pillows & of lotion bars

As promised, I want to tell you about the benefits of flaxseed in face pillows - briefly. Many people use other fillers that are heavier, poke you through the fabric, are water-based like buckwheat & rice. Flaxseeds are lighter, smoother, & full of beneficial oil. They can be reheated many more times than water based fillers & retain their heat hours longer. If you've ever used face or neck pillows filled with other materials, you'll just love the difference. I've been using a neck pillow for a face pillow daily for years now. I just loved that combination of herbs the woman uses & her fabrics, would buy a new one every chance I got because the scent just didn't last. That's why I used essential oils in mine. Now that I've created my own with flaxseed, I've completely retired hers. I've bought from many different people, different blends & fillers, sizes, styles. When I created my face pillows, I changed everything I didn't like about the ones I have to come up with something I love. Hopefully you will too!

Now to lotion bars - one of the coolest things you've probably never heard of. It's a solid that turns to a lotion in your hands & then is fully absorbed & leaves your skin greaseless & moisturized. It turns back into a solid once you return it to the plastic jar. I made mine with beeswax, solid coconut oil & jojoba oil as the base. Some people are allergic to nuts so I decided not to use the more common sweet almond oil. As with all my formulas, I try to avoid ingredients some people need to avoid. Beeswax carries a warning for those allergic to bees. I'm mildly allergic to bee stings but have no problem with beeswax or honey. If you're allergic to honey, you should probably avoid products with beeswax. I am able to formulate the same blend of essential oils into another format for those allergic to beeswax, coconut oil or jojoba oil. There are many different base ingredients to choose from & different formats - creams, lotions, etc. I'm basically serving as an apothecary. I come up with the essential oil formulas but there are always alternate oils & bases I can use. Just like a compounding pharmacy, I'm willing to make special batches for special needs.

And that brings me to what's coming. For one thing, I've been asked to formulate something for fibromyalgia relief (that will be a bath salt because of the nature of the disease), something for menopause symptoms (probably also a bath salt - I've got to give it some thought & research), & a product for chronic chapped lips.
Tomorrow I'll cover bath salts because to me that's a category all it's own. I primarily use epsom & dead sea salts (2 to 1) in my bath salt blends.

No comments:

Post a Comment