Angel Baby Ornament sample 1

Angel Baby Ornament sample 1

Friday, August 19, 2011

Cat Care - Part 2

I have a contented family of quirky cats. All cats are quirky, I think. They're all individuals with different personalities & with a cat you basically get what you put out to them. I provide what they need to be happy - a variety of toys, heights, places to sleep, well placed litter boxes, food, & water. Some of their favorite "toys" are used wrapping paper to lie on or hide under (as long as their heads are covered they think they're hidden & it's hilarious), boxes to lie in (also quite funny - positions & big cats stuffing into small boxes), boxes to play in (I cut holes so they can grab at each other or toys through them), & a few store-bought. With store-bought toys, the simpler the better. They love those little realistic mice & catnip filled plushes.

When my cats want attention I give it to them. If possible, I stop whatever I'm doing for those few minutes. Because I do that, that's all they need. It gives a nice pace to my life, makes me take a break from seriousness & take a moment to relax. There's little that's more relaxing on a regular basis than petting a cat & listening to the purr. When I walk through a room where they are, I speak to them or give a quick pet on the head in passing.

I've paid attention to the likes & habits of each of my cats. I know who likes to be petted how, & how much. I just heard of someone who grabs her cat & holds him even when he doesn't want it. The cat loves her but is also afraid of her, & she wonders why he's peeing on the dining room table! I only forcibly hold a cat if I have to trim claws or do home vet work. Most people don't have the training to do home vet work, by the way. Please don't unless you know exactly what you're doing & are calm enough to CALMLY restrain the cat & do it. Holding a cat firmly by the scruff of the neck (back of the neck) is the proper way to restrain him, ONLY with the cat's feet firmly on your lap, a chair, floor, etc. This can, however, be back feet only. Never pick a cat up by the scruff! Always support the body or at least the back feet. If you want a good relationship with your cat, learn his/her likes & dislikes & respect them. Also, "talk" their language. When he looks you in the eye, slowly lower your eyelids, partially open, close & open - all slowly. Partially open & closed is the closest to what they do. That's cat for "you're safe, I trust you, I won't hurt you, I love you," etc. By the way, if a cat is meowing, trilling, or other vocalizations, he's trying to talk your language. Otherwise, they aren't verbal. Amongst themselves, they communicate primarily with body language - direct eye contact is confrontation, they also use body (puffed up, or lying on the back is submissive), & tail, ear & whisker position. The can also growl at each other, hiss, & purr. All other is directed at us.

If you take on a feral, stray, or shelter cat, you have to be especially patient & watch their cues. You can smooth the way to a great relationship or further ruin the cat by how you handle her. I again have to say that you get out of a cat whatever you put in. A man was telling me about rescuing a street cat & waiting him out as far as any approach. He spoke gently to him always & respected the boundaries the cat was setting with his hissing, etc. Eventually the cat trusted him & became a grateful & beloved pet. A woman was telling me about how she was so eager to pet the cat she'd taken in that she made him sit on her lap & be held & petted. After that he acted more scared of her than before. Of course he did! You should never force yourself on any animal, least of all a cat. I took in 2 sisters last November. They loved me from the start but startled easily & hid when anyone came. One also didn't want her back or head petted at all. Turns out that one had a spinal injury & touching her head or anywhere near there on her back caused pain. I've always been quiet & gentle with these girls, never forced myself on them. I've taken my cues from them regarding how they wanted contact with me & when. Now that the injured one has healed, she's fine with all petting. Still, I never touch her when she's not looking at me. She startles if I touch her when she's asleep or not paying attention to me. They are very happy & affectionate, & much less disturbed when someone comes into the house because I've never given them cause to fear. They feel safe with me & in my care. They were entrusted into my care, as all our pets are. I chose to keep them. I've taken that responsibility seriously & nurtured them. It's been no work, only a matter of caring & paying attention. I've let them come to me. That's my approach with all my cats. If you let cats seek you on their terms, you'll be rewarded. When you rescue or adopt a cat in need, you get so much more than you give. When you see them become happy, loving individuals, it's one of the greatest feelings in the world. And they end up enriching your life even more than you've enriched theirs. Truly!

2 comments:

  1. I never thought of doing that with closing and opening my eyes, that's really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please post back what happens after you start doing it. I'm not sure how much you'll notice results since you're already so very close with your kitties, but if you want to learn to communicate with cats the way I do, this is the first thing I teach. It always amazes me when I can teach YOU anything about cats because you're my kitten & I'm the cat whisperer. You have the heart of a cat & I've taught you well. Just not everything I know, I see. You have it in you, for sure, to do all I can do with cats! I'm so proud of that in you, & how in tune with them you already are :)

    ReplyDelete