Angel Baby Ornament sample 1

Angel Baby Ornament sample 1

Monday, June 6, 2011

Offering new service - Writing, editing, proofreading - & a free tip for bloggers

It's time to offer my services as a writer/editor. Everywhere I've worked I've performed this service, once was even hired as a technical editor. I've written & edited lots of brochures of various types, a speakers' bureau publication (biographical information & course descriptions), technical courses, & lots of business correspondence, even promotional emails. I've done some creative writing on my own but what I've done most is a whole lot of professional writing - marketing materials & purely informational communications.

You tell me what you want - describe what you want written - & I can do it. I'm concise & choose words carefully. I'm also a super editor - spelling, grammar, punctuation. I know my stuff, & have plenty of references if I have a question. You'd laugh if you saw my library of huge dictionaries, thesauruses, books on grammar & usage, etc. I've been told often enough that I have too many books but words are my "thing," especially the written word.

Thing is - what you present in writing from a business aspect, gives the biggest impression about you unless you're there in person. And we just can't all be in front of everyone all the time. Sometimes the written word has to speak for us - brochures, business letters, blogs, emails, etc. You miss your mistakes & I don't. I've never read anything a non-professional writer put out that didn't need editing! And I've seen plenty of publications that could have used some proofreading. You miss the mistakes but your readers don't. A few mistakes are acceptable but most of what I see really reflects poorly on the writer, & it's just not what you want to project when you're putting yourself out there in any form.

So the tip for bloggers is this - if you're blogging about a business, please read your blog from beginning to end before publishing. After you read the entire thing & correct errors, run the spell check. Only then do you hit "publish post." Every time even I read my blog through before posting, I find a few errors. I think faster than I type & sometimes I have more than one word flowing as I type so I end up leaving out a word, adding a word, using a wrong word. Spell check isn't going to catch any of that. Your blog should appear as professional as you are from a standpoint of correctness. Do what you want with content, appearance, ads. But make sure your written word always shows you to be educated & well-spoken. You always want to show that you're knowledgeable in your subject & mistakes distract from that impression.

1 comment:

  1. oh, yes, so very true... however, we are our worst critic because we don't always want to admit to the mistakes

    ReplyDelete