Angel Baby Ornament sample 1

Angel Baby Ornament sample 1

Friday, March 16, 2012

Benefits of Service to Others

I've always gained more than I've given. Sometimes the results of serving others has been direct, sometimes monetary. More often the results are indirect & non-monetary. Whenever you do or say something "good" or "bad" it goes out into the Universe & creates, like for like, & it's out of your hands. By "like" for "like" I mean that negatives create more negatives & positives more positives. I've spoken of this before, my "drop of water in a pond" analogy. We create often invisible ripples each time we do or say something.

Lately I've gained directly. Tuesday I took a friend to the dentist & picked him up. He was to have anaesthesia & needed a driver. He let me use his car while at the dentist, & later in the week for a job interview & my errands. It came about as a result of taking him to the dentist. I got all my errands done for the week, got to the interview, didn't have to go the expense of a rental car. And when I offered to pay for gas he said no thank you, that the Universe will compensate him & it would be greater thus than what I could do. Wise man - but he truly is. He's the one who told me I'm a healer, told me about Reiki & has been my dear friend & mentor ever since. When I moved to Pittsburgh it put me in close proximity to him too, another great bonus. We saw each other twice last year. He moved 10 minutes away from here a month before I moved, & now we see each other about twice a month & talk more frequently. Nice.

An old friend has come back into my life needing my help, & I'm already seeing direct results from answering that call. I'm already benefiting directly. With Pam the benefits have been direct also. I offered to befriend her when she expressed need late summer of 2010. She was then a virtual stranger, someone I chatted with a few times on Facebook. Since then we have supported each other through similar life changes & upheavals. I could write a chapter on how we've benefited each other. The funny thing is, by the time she took me up on my offer of friendship & listening, I needed her as much as she needed me. I believe that was what had to be for us since we're both givers & strong women. It needed to be mutual for us to bond to the degree we needed to in order to help each other.

Usually the benefits are more indirect, harder to trace, but still very real. I have so many dear friends in Pittsburgh who mean much to me & greatly enrich my life. Most of them don't give me anything tangible like money or goods or direct services, but they teach me, emotionally support me, & provide the fun, excitement, love, & interest I need in my life. They're there for me when I need to talk or find something out, learn something. They do truly enrich my life, the full meaning of that. I do the same for them. I give of myself, my love, share whatever I can including through this blog & the results are some deep & rewarding relationships.

When we help others we help ourselves in all kinds of ways. We heal, our hearts expand, we learn & grow. New opportunities & people also emerge in our lives. The guy I took to the dentist told me about the woman who is an energy worker who is now my neighbor. She told me about this house coming up for rent & put in a good word with the homeowner, which led to me being able to rent here. It was a whole chain of events that actually started with a woman I've been friends with since 1994 or so, met on my old job. We've kept up our friendship & mutual support & love so when I needed work-at-home ideas in the summer of 2010 I called to pick her brain. The result of that conversation led me to the phone call (the end of a string of 4) to the guy I took to the dentist. He was a total stranger when I called him but he talked with me, brainstormed income sources & ideas with me for an hour. I never could have consciously created the exact chain of events that led to me getting into Reiki & moving into this house. The stage was set in that 1994 friendship that we've maintained! And that only happened when the woman was elected & briefly served on the Board of Directors for the non-profit I used to work for. I can't even begin to go through the events that led to that - someone recommended her, she was elected, there were a couple of meetings she attended... And then you have to go back to the late 1980s when I started going to Mayo church & met the woman who eventually led to me taking that job, which is a whole other long chain of events. I'll go into this more soon when I write the blog on the lessons on manifestation I'm gaining. The whole point is, an unpredicted set of chains of events that I wasn't aware of in itself & didn't control the progression of started before the 1980s that eventually led to me living in this house! I can trace it all the way back to my college choice in 1974 if I want to! It's the "7 Degrees of Kevin Bacon" on steroids! But the basics are - I'm a giver & servant personality, so that rules my decisions & relationships. Those relationships allow the Universe to create great positives in my life that lead me. It's the greatest example of indirect benefits in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment